Thursday, September 23, 2010

What would you change in World of Warcraft?

I read an article today from WoW.com where the author was asking in a nut shell “what would you do to make WoW a better place to play and enhance the gaming experience”. After reading the article I got to thinking about it as my day went on and in my free time as I got it. I know some things I would love to see in World of Warcraft, and I feel would really make game play. It could get the veteran players back into the old content and if nothing else give us something to do besides dailies.

To give a very brief history, before I played World of Warcraft, I played Star Wars Galaxies (SWG). SWG was my first MMORPG and I absolutely loved it until the developers totally trashed the game. Originally SWG had some amazing features that made the game stand out from others. The first one was houses! You could buy a house and you could even decorate it how ever you saw fit. Imagine this in World of Warcraft, you buy a house and ride out on what ever your favorite zone is and build your house. In case city living is more your style then go into your favorite capital city and rent an apartment and decorate it how ever you saw fit. For decorating it if tier gear is what floats your boat, then go into to the instances and get your older tier sets to display on your wall, or show your cunning skills by displaying the sword you used when you downed the Lich King, or when you downed an opposing faction leader. This would clear up your bank and your bags of all those BoP items you worked so hard to get and then they got replaced on your first run into ICC, and you can’t bring your self to delete them because of the work you put into getting them. 
   
The second feature is Shops! This is an absolute awesome feature and a great way to make gold. Now in order to do this the dynamics of the WoW professions would have to drastically change. Imagine though making a lot of weapons, armor or other crafted items and putting them on sale in your shop. I don’t think it would smash the WoW economy, if anything I think it would drop some of the outrageous prices we see on the auction house, because a new type of check and balance would be introduced into the  player based economy system. As long as you kept your prices fair and stock available you could make gold hand over fist.

The third and last feature, Points of Interest! That’s right POI’s it doesn’t sound very interesting but believe me it could be if done properly. Let me pitch the idea first, if you log onto tonight you go play your toon and low and behold it’s one of them days that when you get on you just don’t feel like doing anything. You don’t feel like questing, nor do you feel like farming, raiding, doing dailies, and pvp so you just log off and go watch TV. Imagine if you could visit some of the places that built the World of Warcraft lore. What if you could go visit the home that Thrall was hatched in, or go visit the battlefield in Blackrock Mountain where High General Turalyon defeated the orcs. The point of this is can give you something to do in your bored time, and believe it could be fun and it could help you get that explorer achievement that your dreading doing because of the amount of time running from place to place. You could have two types of POI’s, faction specific and neutral. Faction’s specific of course would deal with the lore of your faction and neutral are where you can learn the lore of neutral races and towns.


This of course is just my two cents. Unfortunately we’ll never see these things. By all means I’m not going quit play World of Warcraft because these features aren’t in the game but it gives me something to think about and how awesome it would be to see. I’ve been seeing more of these types of articles and they all seem to suggest that they would like to see more puzzles and stuff like that. While that stuff is good, I think I would like to see this game continue to change the face of MMORPG’s and keep the rest of the gaming companies on their toes because you’ll never what they will think of next. Anyways I’ll finish this rant. I hope you enjoyed the article and thank you stopping by.

Revdun

11 comments:

  1. Hmm, the POI thingy sounds really interesting. Thanks for a nice post, I love reading about other games than WoW :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aye, points of interest is definitely a cool idea. Probably wouldn't take too much extra implementation from the devs too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca I agree that wouldn't take a lot at all to implement the POI's and I think it could add a really cool feature to the game and give us something new to look at and an interesting way to learn the lore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Zinn, I'm glad you enjoyed the article, I haven't been posting a lot here lately because I've been posting a pretty wicked cold. Like you I like to read about other games as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the house/apt idea. Sure, you'd have to have major expansions but wouldn't that be cool. Home is where the hearth is! :-) I also like the POI's. Now if you could get the power that be to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOl I agree Mikel, it would be so totally awesome and something I'd love to see, I'd be happy with just the POI's so they wouldn't have to overhaul the game completely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shops definitely - I'd love to see that in WoW!! FF11 had a rather simple yet great feature to create player shops, maybe Blizzard will consider this some day.

    Greetings from a blogging neighbour and good luck with the new blog! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Syl we can sure hope so, I think the extra check and balance in the economy wouldn't be a bad thing. Nice to meet you and I look forward to seeing your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Green fire for warlocks.
    Enough said.

    /Syl: Shops would be great too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This article is fantastic. I really like studying your articles. rs accounts for sell Stay up the great work! Lots of persons are hunting around for this information, you could help them greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some things you can do to keep your character shaped tip top for Power Leveling in wow gold, keep your gear or at least a little reductive character. and some wow gold will help you. This is not so easy at the beginning, but at least you need levels 20 or so past you should have a decent set of blues to case. You don't really want running around with gear that is more than 10 former wow gold kaufen levels. So, keep an eye on it. If you level fast enough what can happen before realizing it.

    ReplyDelete